If after a lot of careful self evaluation and soul searching – you have decided to have explant surgery, then you will need to be prepared to make the next important step which is finding a explant surgeon, most surgery involves serious operations that can never be guaranteed to work perfectly, But the chances of them going wrong are much less if your surgeon is qualified, ethical and trustworthy, that is why searching for a surgeon becomes a much clearer and easier task if you know what to look for and where.
It is important to point out at the early stages of your search for a explant surgeon, that many kinds of doctors perform explant surgery, even though they may have no specific training in plastic surgery, certain laws allow them to advertise a certification in another field of surgery without actually specifying which the field, because of limited consumer protection, such doctors are allowed to perform explant surgery in an office based surgery setting regardless of whether they are actually specialized in cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Advertising by such doctors can be confusing and even misleading, it is advisable that you shortlist explant surgeons that are specially trained, certified, and experienced in the procedure that you want.
Why place yourself in the hands of a doctor or surgeon that isn’t actually trained and experienced in the field of explant surgery?
That is why we have a directory of fully qualified, trained and compassionate surgeons for you to choose from.
Here is a check list that can help you define your search criteria
Ideally Your Explant Surgeon should have the following credentials
- Your surgeon should have completed medical school
- Your surgeon should have completed a residency in plastic/cosmetic surgery
- Your surgeon should have a medical specialization
- Your surgeon should have hospital privileges for the procedure you want
- Your surgeon should be Board Certified (vetted by their speciality board) as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or a Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon
- Your surgeon should be a member of an approved Board of Medical Specialities Society, in your country
- Your surgeon should have proven experience and demonstrated skill in explant surgery
You may want to download our Choosing a Explant Surgeon e-book here